6 Tips for Procrastinators Who Are Ready To Make Lasting Changes

It has happened to all of us. I have put something off until later and it never came to realization. I've had friends with projects they talked about but never came to fruition. It's so easy to procrastinate and January is the month of the year with the most depression and break ups and not exactly bright and cheery weather. It's so easy to stay in bed under covers, back out of social invites, skip the workout, and order Chinese.

I consider myself a productive person but I will admit that I hate waking up early and I especially hate waking up to an alarm. I much prefer waking naturally as light filters into the room or as my cat starts pawing at my blanket for food. Successful people get up early, right? Well, I am only covering procrastination right now :)

Why do we procrastinate? Do we think that it'll feel better to do something later than right that instant? I'll be stronger tomorrow than I am today? I'll have more willpower next week than this week?

Here are 6 tips to worm your way out of procrastination:


  1. Set a reminder, not an alarm. You are more likely to hit snooze on an alarm. At least a reminder is more gentle and friendly and you won't get your task started off on the wrong foot.
  2. Set a deadline on a calendar- putting something in the written word is more persuasive than trying to remember what it was you wanted to get done or what the reason you wanted it done for was.
  3. Find your production time.....everyone has a peak productive hour or 3 in their daily schedule. It may be right after that 1st cup of coffee or after a workout when your endorphins have kicked in and your brain functions at its best and your muscles are warm. Plan to use that production time to your advantage and complete that task you've been putting off
  4. Tell a friend or peer. That's why they invented the "buddy" system. People are more likely to accomplish a goal or task if they are subject to someone else's expectation or evaluation.
  5. Block out distractions. This may mean turning the TV off, turning off notifications or setting your cell in airplane mode, leaving your home to go somewhere you can focus, or even asking a neighbor to watch your kids so you can have time to complete whatever you need to and haven't been able to.
  6. Don't make an unrealistic list of things to do. Focus on one to three things you want to accomplish at a time. If your brain starts coming up with too many projects or "need to do's", write them down for a later time and concentrate only on 1 thing at a time. Enjoy the moment of starting and completing the task. Multi-tasking can be helpful but not if you really care about the work and you need to be at your best.
I would love to say that I always feel like being social or that I love to workout and exert myself but the reality is that I can be a couch potato if the right show is on  or my cat is being super lovey dovey. Anything I might have planned doesn't seem as important as that moment right then. My accountability starts with my peers and my online social network as a reason to prove that I COULD today and I CHOSE TO today. At the same time I remind myself that I can do anything I set my mind to and procrastinating will not help me reach my goals.



I started week 3 of Hammer and Chisel and I'll admit it's hard but I love the fact that I've completed each task, each day, and whether my food was spot on or a little off, I made the effort because I remember how badly I want to COMPLETE this goal.

Today I took some time to change the license plate frame on my car - I've had these two frames for over 2 months and today was the day I set a reminder to complete this task. I Love that it's done and I love how the look!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Beachbody Hybrid Workout Schedule

Night Time Eating Derailment - Help!

4 Unique Ways to Get Your 10,000 Steps Into Your Day