Time flies when you having fun and creeps by when you're in the ER

The past few days have been a whirlwind. I was feeling great and then suddenly found myself in the ER & out of control of my body.

Lets go back to Monday and Tuesday!
Monday I got in my yoga fix before flying from Dallas to Kansas City- I grabbed a healthy bite at the airport before boarding my flight and found myself ready to start week 2 of the 21day fix on Tuesday

                   Tuesday I woke early as I had much to do! I got in my Total Body Cardio  - 



 

but after my workout Tuesday, I got ready for work and went to a teambuilding event and then to lunch to continue the momentum. I began having some lower back pain and a bloaty feeling but during lunch, I began having sharp abdominal pains in my gut and more specifically on my right side. Fearing an appendix issue I was rushed to the ER and given fluid, anti inflammatories and pain meds and had a CT done. Lots of meds late it may be an infection or virus of some sort - I'm still trying to sort it out while taking antibiotics. I will be behind on my 21dayfix by a couple of days. I'm really bummed because I feel I was gaining momentum! I'll reassess Friday after some R&R and speak with my DR and see what he recommends!



Sure we wash our hands and take our vitamins, but sooner or later, we are bound to get sick.
A question I get asked a lot is: Should I exercise when I’m sick?
As a fitness fanatic, I HATE getting sick.  I HATE missing my workout.
Okay, so I’m pretty sure you all think I’m crazy right about now, but when I’m sick, I miss that high I feel after a good workout.  But even a fitness fanatic like me needs to take a step back and listen to my body.
When you’re sick, your body uses its recovery properties to fight the illness. When you exercise, you use these same properties to recover. To your body, trying to exercise when you’re sick is effectively the same thing as overtraining. You won’t be able to recover from exercise, rendering it useless, as well as increasing the risk of making your illness worse and lengthening your downtime.
Believe it or not, there are actually a couple of upsides to being sick. It both raises your metabolism and heightens your immune response, meaning that you can eat more than normal and not gain weight. Your immune system also releases performance-enhancing hormones that both fight the infection and help you heal microtrauma incurred during your training program.
Once I know I’m sick, I rest as much as I possibly can.  My diet becomes very clean. No coffee, alcohol, sugar, junk, and I drink a ton of water. Also, I eat a lot of small things all day long. Your body needs nutrients when it’s sick but doesn’t want the energy burden of digesting large meals.
When the illness has turned the corner I begin moving more. I’ll do low-level aerobic exercise and some light yoga—restorative exercise. I’ll build this gradually as I feel better, so that when the symptoms are gone I can hit it hard, right where I left off.
The good news is, that a workout enthusiast like me, should have to deal with this issue less often than my couch potato friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Create a Beachbody Hybrid Workout Schedule

Night Time Eating Derailment - Help!

4 Unique Ways to Get Your 10,000 Steps Into Your Day